Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Scones


Now that I send a weekly batch of scones into work with my husband, his co-workers have
started asking for specific types of scones. Therefore, I've begun more experimenting. Thus a recipe that I'm probably not the best guinea pig for: Lemon Poppyseed Scones. Now, I've never been a fan of lemon, or poppyseeds, but I'm game for coming up with a new recipe. So this was my best attempt.







Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cardamom
1/4 cup poppy seeds
zest from 2 lemons (or one large lemon)
1 stick cold butter, diced
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp lemon juice (approximately the juice of one lemon, mediumish/large) 

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, cardamom, sugar, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds together. 

Cut in the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or two knives used scissor fashion. (You can also use your fingertips if so desired.)

Add the lemon juice to the buttermilk and mix. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until the dough just comes together.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured countertop and divide into two. Press each half into a 1/2-inch high circle and cut into eighths. Place on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet two inches apart.

Bake at 400ºF for about 15-17 minutes, or until golden on top.

Serves: 16










Results: 
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with these. I felt that they weren't fluffy and flaky enough. The flavor was good, (although I'm not a huge lemon or poppyseed fan) and so I'll have to do some more experimentation to perfect these. Perhaps more butter or substituting heavy whipping cream for the buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment